D.O.A

"We make you dead on arrival!"
That's right. Be scared.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Fried Apples=Heaven for 1st Sergeant Norton

Today, November 25th, 1863 I 1st Sergeant Tomas Norton and the reast of the Union army had just defeted the South on Chattanooga.  This victory was keey to us cause now we have the South's most importeant railroad yard and city under controll.  Three days of fighting has horible effects on the body from fatigue to hunger and injuries, I am very gladd that it is finaley over.  My favorite part about the end of the battle and the Union victory is the celebratery dinner.  We have all kinds of food that the cooks can round up at great exspense, but it is nesessary for wiped out troops.  Perhaps my favorite part of the meal are the dessert.  I come to love them more and more after every time I tri them, Fried Apples.  They are a delikacy around camp and we are rarly served them.  Tonight I had the privilege of having them again.  These fried apples can be equated to heaven on earth, and nothin less.  I would love to make these at home for my family, so I askedd the cook in our regiment for the recipy and I wrote it down below.  Dessert is without a doubt the best time of the day no mater what I have just ben through.  Fried Apples is like my happy place, an escape from the horors of war.  Every time I bite into one, they remind me of the great cookin bac home, and all of the people that love me their.  Without them, I don't know how I would be handling my sitouation, but I'd rather not think about that.

Ingredients:
- 5 tart cooking apples such as Granny Smith, MacIntosh, Golden Delicious, or other
- 4 TB or more butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Wash, core and slice the apples into 12-16 narrow wedges, do not peel. Melt the butter in a skillet or cast iron pan and add the apples. Cover the skillet and cook the apples 5 minutes over medium low heat. Stirring continuously, add the brown sugar and the nutmeg. Stir well. Continue cooking the apples covered for 10-12 minutes or until the apples are tender, check every few minutes while cooking. Add additional butter or water if needed to prevent the apples from sticking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment