D.O.A

"We make you dead on arrival!"
That's right. Be scared.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Gingerbread


ingredients:
- 1 TB butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup very hot water


Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9" square baking pan with the butter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda and spices, and cut in softened butter to the flour mixture with a fork. Combine molasses, egg and water in a small mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well. Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 9 servings.


Gift for me


I’d been feeling down ever since our first battle failure, and I sure needed somethin’ to lift my spirits. The camp was pretty dirty, I weren’t friends with the other soldiers yet, and nightmares about the rebels kept me up at night. One morning, our regiment leader was bringin’ round our mail, and I watched, all hopeful inside that one of them packages was for me. Finally, he turned to me and dropped a box been tied with old string right down on my lap. I thanked him ‘fore I started to tear off the string and dig through the cardboard. Before I seen it inside, I could smell it, my wife’s homemade gingerbread. I started to think up memories of holiday dinners, family picnics, and playful kids wanting for an afternoon snack. I picked up the treat real careful like out of the box. I held it up to my nose and smelled it one time, just to keep rememberin’ times back at my home. I took each bite and chewed real slow, knowing that I weren’t gonna get another for awhile. Then I think I looked right of me and saw some soldiers lookin’ back at me with jealousy. I thought ‘bout offering them some, but I couldn’t bear to give some of my only happiness this week to ‘em.
   
          The gingerbread weren’t just food, it was there to remind me of my wife and kids. The gift they done sent me made me happy again and not so lonesome. It made me wanna keep on goin’ for em’, to keep on fighting for my country. To keep on fighting for a united country. After that, I slept more peaceful like, and I didn’t need to frown no more. I hope more people would send gingerbread, it sure does make things less miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment